Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter Doug Kanter is offline

Default Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Leila wrote:
>
>> I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
>> (Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
>> spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
>> for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
>> concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
>> is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
>> Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
>> suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
>> put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
>> or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
>> understand.

> It's funny that people bitch and complain so much about the price of
> gasoline these days and then they go out and spent a lot more that than by
> volume on water. I confess to using bottled water when on vacation
> because
> there seems to be something in water in some places that can cause a bit
> of
> a reaction with my system and I would rather play it safe than spoil a
> vacation. I have a distiller at home because I have a problem with my well
> and cistern, but when I am in the local towns and cities I have no problem
> drinking the municipal water. It's good. I realize it is not that good
> everywhere. I have a friend in the interior of BC who pays next to nothing
> for water, but the water is hardly pristine. You can see particles in it,
> and it has an odd taste. I would be filtering or distilling it for
> drinking
> if I lived there. Otherwise I would be drinking bottle water. If I were
> drinking bottled water I would be buying it in 5 gallon jugs and
> transferring it into smaller bottles. I am amazed at the people around
> here
> who buy cases and cases of 12 oz. bottles of water.

Even dumber: A few months back, on the news, I heard a story about a company
that's trying to market bottled water for dogs. Apparently, it's selling
well. The reporter interviewed a veterinarian who reminded listeners that
dogs will happily drink out of toilet bowls and filthy puddles in the
street.