Posted to rec.food.sourdough
alphabetgirl alphabetgirl is offline

Default Rubbery Texture?

Thanks, Charles. I'm beginning to see where I might have gone wrong:
the whole stretch and fold thing is a bit of am mystery to me. After
the first loaf fermented for 2 hours, I refrigerated it for a day, then
let it sit on my kitchen counter for 3-4 hours before baking it. The
second loaf went straight from fridge to oven. With both loaves, After
fermentation (2 hours) I used a bench knife on a to gently stretch the
dough, but I only did it once on each side as the dough consistency
seemed nice and elastic, looked spongy, and I didn't want to overwork
the dough. I put the boule in a banneton, covered it and refrigerated
it (1st loaf for 24 hours, 2nd loaf about 6.) I never did a punch down
-- if I should, at what point does this happen? Many thanks, Jessica