Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yogi Gupta Yogi Gupta is offline

Default Bred fruit and vegies [Was: Mango Imports from India.]

Phred!
I agree with the following:
"In an international forum it is impossible to know what may offend
someone somewhere."
In my opinion, it puts a burden on the contributor to choose words with
care.

I disagree with:
" The best guide for the reader is to look at the context. It is
usually pretty clear whether an insult is intended or not if one
doesn't go off half-cocked. "
It blames the reader and exonerates the contributor of any
responsibilty.

I will take your suggestion.
Please accept my apologies for going 'half-cocked' when I read the
racial slur 'Paki'.

Let me apply the logic further, the 'N'-word is just an abbreviation.
We should use the actual word whenever we communicate.

Have a good day.
Yogi