Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses[_1_] The Joneses[_1_] is offline

Default PH of Lime Juice

Anny Middon wrote:

> "GreenieLeBrun" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >>From http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

> > Lemon juice 2.0 - 2.6
> > Lime Juice 2.0 - 2.35
> > Vinegar 2.4 - 3.4
> > Vinegar, Cider 3.10
> >

> Thanks, Greenie.
> Now -- does anyone have a handy-dandy conversion formula? That is, if a
> recipe calls for 3/4 cup of vinegar, how much line juice do I need to equal
> the same acidity? If I just use 3/4 cup of commercial lime juice, the salsa
> is too sour.
> Anny
> Whose high school chemistry classes were way too long ago to remember
> anything helpful

Howdy y'all, back from vacation.
I dunno the exact answer to this question, but I do know that acidity varies
from fruit to fruit based on when it was picked and how ripe & variety. I had
some limes that tested at below 1.0. Best to use test strips - I get mine from a
scientific equipment store for about $15 for 100. My friend's husband wanted to
use swimming pool test equipment, but it is not as sensitive and doesn't go
below 5.0. Not good enuf for us. To boiling water bath: 4.6 and below.
I read somewhere that for tomato sauce & salsa, the cook added 1 tablespoon
lemon juice per pint for safety. I have not tested this out though.
Edrena