Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 02:20:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Calvin?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the
>> element off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On
>> some of those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot,
>> will cause the symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain
>> that in the user manual.
>>

> Goog point Wayne.
> But, (you knew that was comin' didnja? ;-) )
>
> I have a *huge* aluminum pot that I use for live lobsters.
> I'm not exactly sure of the size but I'd guess that it's at
> least 22qt. I can cook 4, 2 pound lobsters in it with no
> problem. I use it on the glass top and have no issues at all.
>
> Not saying that I don't believe you or anything but I've
> personally never seen anything that it won't handle. Maybe I
> just am not doin' what causes the problem.

As I said, it depends on the brand. The two brands I have owned, GE and
Frigidaire, have no problem with big pots. When I was researching before
my last purchase, I did find a couple of brands which warned against using
them. Needless to say, I dismissed them. Sorry, but I don't recall the
brands, so I cannot document that for you.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA