Posted to rec.food.equipment
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Nyssa wrote:
> >
> > I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
> > a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
> > her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
> > smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
> >
> > Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
> > out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
> > or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new
> > stovetop.
> >

> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker
> I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no
> matter what source it comes from. The only reason I can see

If it's a real high dollar kitchen (though $20K seems too little)
she might have an induction cooktop which would not work with
aluminum pots. Otherwise, I don't know what the problem might
be either. My wife has used our glass smoothtop with big
pressure canner and BWB canner lots and lots. She used to
can and sell jams at the farmer's market. She has since moved
out of our home kitchen and switched to chocolate and toffee
making, but when we set up her commercial kitchen we put two
glass smoothtops into a stainless steel prep table. No trouble
using big pots on them. She spills lots of sugary stuff
on them as well, and we've had no trouble, though I'll admit
there is a little etching on one burner of our home cooktop.
Quick cleanup of spills seems to aleviate that as I've seen
no evidence of etching on the two in her new kitchen.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.