Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Smooth top ranges vs coil

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 01:58:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve
Calvin?

> Nyssa wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about the specific model you have in mind, but
>> a friend and I had *big* plans about doing some canning in
>> her newly remodeled kitchen ($20K pricetag!). She got a
>> smooth top stove as part of the upgrade.
>>
>> Luckily we did a "dry run" before my garden started putting
>> out, because neither of my BWB canners (pint and quart sizes)
>> or my 22qt pressure canner would work on her beautiful new stovetop.
>>

> You give no specifics. If it's a flat bottom pressure cooker
> I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Heat is heat, no
> matter what source it comes from. The only reason I can see
> that it wouldn't work is that the bottom had some serious
> shape differentials which caused extremely poor heat
> transfer. But that's a known condition of flat tops.
>
> Mine *cranks* out heat. I defy any flat bottom unit to not
> severely boil on high.

Steve, some smoothtop ranges have a hi-limit circuit that turns the element
off (causing it to recycle when it cools) if it overheats. On some of
those cooktops, using an oversize pot, such as a 22 qt pot, will cause the
symptoms of overheating. Usually, such ranges explain that in the user
manual.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA