Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default internal temp?

D.Currie wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>D.Currie wrote:

>>>Would that temp change at high altitude? Where I'm at, the boiling point
>>>of water is about 203 degrees, which is (obviously) 9 degrees less than
>>>sea level. So if I measured the bread temp, would I want it 9 degrees
>>>less (193 degrees) or would I want it to get all the way to 200, which is
>>>just 3 degrees shy of the boiling point?

>>It shouldn't be altered if at all possible. That 200°F represents the
>>temperature by which the important chemical and physical changes have
>>happened. Gelatinization, protein denaturing and the other events that
>>combine to make bread happen at certain absolute temperatures and
>>pressures. Significantly lower, and they don't proceed to fullness.
>>
>>For me the boiling point is usually 209°F. Changes in atmospheric pressure
>>will cause it to fluctuate a bit
>>
>>Pastorio

> Okay -- just curious, anyway. I grew up at sea level, or close enough, so
> this high-altitude thing has been an experience. Baking has actually been
> less of a problem than things that cook in water.

Long years ago, when I was still young, I was in Tibet. At one point, I
was told we were at something over 16,000 feet altitude and water boiled
there at about 182°F. It was surprising how quickly that "hot" water
cooled. It was explained that water was able to evaporate more quickly
because of the reduced air pressure. Faster evaporation means faster
cooling. I had trouble breathing, with any exertion.

The butter tea was too rich for my western mouth. Rice took forever to
cook.

Pastorio