Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_1_] Brick[_1_] is offline

Default Why did my spare-ribs turn out tough?

On 27-Feb-2006, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:39:47 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>
> >I cook ribs between 250° and 300°F all the time and there's nothing wrong
> >with the ribs I cook. I'm going to start five racks this morning. Two
> >beef
> >back ribs and three spares. My ribs typically take four hours, more or
> >less.
> >They're done when they crack easily when bent sharply. They come out
> >tender enough to pull the meat off the bones with my fingers.

> Thanks Brick ;-) Like Big Jim's Brisket, cooked at a higher than
> normal temps, my ribs are just fine cooked at a higher temp than
> most people think is acceptable.
>
> I've done them 8 hours at 220, and 4 hours at 270. I'll take the
> 4 hour ribs any day, especially when I'm the one cooking. Heck,
> after 7-8 hours I'd be so drunk I forgot all about the ribs
> (unless it was Sunday and I couldn't buy beer until noon).
>
> -sw

I got my comeuppance yesterday Steve. Two racks of Beef Back Ribs
got done in a little over two hours, but two racks of spares took six
hours and one had the audacity to require 6 and a half. Go figure.
temp at the stack (NBS) was 240 to 260 the whole time, meaning
that the grid temp was 260 to 280.

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)