Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking,alt.homebrewing,rec.crafts.meadmaking
Mark R Mark R is offline

Default Anyone using a "heat pipe" to cool fermenter? How about a peltier driven heatpipe?

"Hershel Roberson" > wrote in message

> If I recall correctly, these things only move abot 80-90 BTU/HR. That

would
> be OK to maintain a lower temperature, but wouldn't do much to cool hot

wort
> (that's about the same as adding 3/4 lb of ice every hour).

Use a wort chiller to bring the hot wort down to fermentation temps. Then
wrap the fermenter in a blanket and plug in the peltier. If house ambient is
around 73 and one unit chills a 10 gallon aquarium 6-8 degrees (and remember
there is lots of uninsulated surface area on an aquarium) it should keep 5
plus gallons in the 64 to 68 range somewhere. Now if you sprayed foam
insulation on the outside of your fermenter you may get it down even lower.
The problem I see is they have only two controllers, one in the 45-65 range
and one from 65-85. You'll either operate one at the bottom of it's scale,
or if you use the other and have problems maintaining 64 degrees, it could
run all the time.

Mark R