Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,alt.beer.home-brewing,alt.homebrewing,rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking
gene gene is offline

Default Anyone using a "heat pipe" to cool fermenter? How about a peltierdriven heatpipe?

Damn you're good, Joe <grin>.

Circulating the wine during fermentation will improve heat transfer to
the heat pipe. But that circulation will also cause the yeast to
undergo frequent temperature excursions (which makes them not so happy),
and the circulation will affect extraction of tannins and phenols and
other stuff from skins in fermenting reds (oh the variables one must
consider).

By the way, cooling liquids with submerged heat exchange tubing induces
temperature gradients in the must. The bulk liquid will be a few (to
several) degrees warmer than the liquid in contact with the cooling
tubing, depending on the surface temperature of the tubing.

Gene