Posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley Jenn Ridley is offline

Default Gingerbread using black pepper?

"-L." > wrote:

>I have a recipe for Gingerbread that includes black pepper. I have
>never attempted gingerbread before - does pepper really add a
>*palatable* dimension to the flavor?

Yes. (Unless you absolutely detest pepper.) I find that gingerbread
doesn't taste 'right' without the black pepper. With all of the other
flavors in the gingerbread, the pepper adds a note of sharp spice to
balance the sweeter spices. My ggg-gramma's fruitcake recipe calls
for black pepper.

Have you ever had (proper) pepparkakor or pfefferneusse? Both of
those have pepper in them. I have a very good recipe for chocolate
cookies that can be made with either cayenne or black pepper. Many
spiced cookies with European sources have black pepper in them.

--
Jenn Ridley :