Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,alt.beer.home-brewing,alt.homebrewing,rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking
Droopy Droopy is offline

Default Anyone using a "heat pipe" to cool fermenter? How about a peltier driven heatpipe?

Bill Velek wrote:
> I've been kicking an idea around for awhile and did a google-search but
> couldn't find anything directly on point. A recent post about peltier
> devices made me think about this again. What about coupling a peltier
> with a heatpipe?

Well it is worth a shot, that is for sure. It sounds like a glycol
chiller. A good fluid to put inside the pipe would be antifreeze since
it can go below freezing if need be (like you could use it to double as
a wort chiller maybe).

Just as an aside (since you posted this in winemaking asn meadmaking) I
would think about avoiding copper in acidic environments, just so you
do not have the problem of oxides ending up in your beverage...and
acids often found in wine and mead (even if in small amounts) can react
with copper (IIRC, ask a metalurgist to be sure, I do beleive there is
one around *wink wink*) forming toxic salts, like verdigris.