Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,alt.beer.home-brewing,alt.homebrewing,rec.crafts.meadmaking,rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough Mike McGeough is offline

Default Anyone using a "heat pipe" to cool fermenter? How about a peltierdriven heatpipe?

Bill ,

Interesting ideas, but evaporative cooling is more than adequate for my
purposes (winemaking). And if that weren't enough, I'd probably trickle
50°F well water over the carboy (how's that for efficiency?: geothermal
cooling).

My one thought on your heat pipe setup is that you might well want to
limit the contact between copper and an acid medium like wine. Beer
might be a different matter, but wine dissolves copper, brass, iron,
aluminum, etc. and prolonged contact often imparts metallic tastes and
worse. I once ruined a batch of blueberry wine by leaving a metal (non
stainless) spoon in it for about a week.

Sounds like fun though. Let us know how it turns out.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com