Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default Sub-Zero Smoking

DavidG wrote:

> Do it! I run my WSM in NH all winter. I think my coldest
> cook was about 5 above. The thing I have played with is the
> water pan.
> I usually run my WSM with sand in the pan. In real cold
> weather this seems to be a bit too much of a heat sink, so I
> just foil the empty pan.
> Keep it out of the wind and go for it!

Agreed. I run mine all winter here in New York state. The
biggest factor is the wind as David said. If it's a calm
day, no problem. If it's windy put something by the WSM to
block the wind. Of course it helps if you have a wireless
thermometer so you can monitor the meat and grate temps from
the comfort of your couch. I'm really gonna break down and
install a Guru on my WSM one of these days...

--
Steve