Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> > calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> > cooked?

> Cooked. The % balance of nutrients will change in the process, mostly
> with loss of both fat and water-based juices.

Cool! :-)

> Use the USDA database. It's what most of the others are based on.
> <http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/>

Danke!
It was posted earlier also, but worth the re-run.
I think Andy posted it.

> But I caution you against trying to get exact figures. First, there are
> only charts for the dead food that's already gone. Yours may be
> different sizes or different composition or whatever. Second, since your
> caloric usage isn't calculated exactly, your intake can't be, either.
> Since everybody's body uses food differently than everybody else's, it
> will be trial and error until you get a good handle on your needs.

Well, this type of diet is pretty much foolproof.
Lyle calculates it based on the amount of weight you need to lose, and
your current weight and body composition, as well as gender.

100 to 120 grams of protein per day is about it for me, the rest is all
"negative calorie" type foods. High fiber, low starch/sugar. I've been
low carbing long enough now, I pretty much know what to avoid. <G>
I also know what my body responds to.

> The database is a good, useful approximation.
>
> > What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?

> You use yield factors for things like that. Professional culinary texts
> will often carry that kind of info.
>
> Here's a quick chart for bone-in Chicken:
> % usable meat/finished portion ounces from 1 pound cooked
> Whole Body 52-54%/8.5
> Parts Breast 62-64%/10.0
> Hindquarter 48-50%/8.0 (leg and thigh)
> Drumstick 46-48%/7.5
> Thigh 52-54%/8.5
> Wing 42-45%/7.0

Perfect! :-)

> These are "reasonable" values for average chickens.
>
> > I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> > bone weight?

> Depends on the age of the critter when it was killed, although a
> reasonably normal yield ratio is 46% to 48% of cooked weight, depending
> on degree of doneness. The more cooked, the less weight. Less fat, less
> moisture. The cook range for the percentages is 160° to 180°. I can't
> recommend the higher temperature finish. Dry chicken.

The grill I'm using does not have temp. regulation. All I can do is
regulate the time. I cook it until the meat is just done, slightly pink
at the bone. Experimentation has shown me that if I load it up with
drumsticks (arranged well, it holds 12 pieces to the 4 lb. bag) 20
minutes is perfect.

For wings, Frozen, full grill, 12 minutes. Thawed, 8 minutes. The
Hamilton is a large grill and I CLOSE the top so both sides cook at the
same time.

It ain't dry. ;-) But thanks!

> > I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> > I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.

> Nah. Weigh the cooked whatever before you eat and then weigh the sad,

Thought about that. <G> I remove the gristly ends for the dogs tho', so
I need to weigh the bones prior to doing that.

> depleted and savaged carcass afterward. Those poor, innocent, pillaged,
> gnawed bones.

Yummy!

> Subtract the weight of the formerly living, breathing
> flesh from the now-murdered, plundered bones. Voila. The difference
> ("delta" to an engineer or mathematician) is the weight of what you
> actually consumed.

Dead bird. It's a good thing!

> Or you can eat it, weighing yourself before and after.

ROFL!!!

> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

Thanks dear! <smooch>