Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_1_] is offline

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >

> >> Om,
> >>
> >> Weigh meat after cooking for your protein/calorie count, since the
> >> method of cooking effects the resulting calorie count and nutritional
> >> data.
> >>
> >> Here are two good places to start. You'll catch on, just take your
> >> time, it can be confusing at first.
> >>
> >> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
> >>
> >> and similar (draws from the same database with different gui/info):
> >>
> >> http://www.nutritiondata.com/
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Thanks Andy!
> >
> > Got those bookmarked for reference and am reading them. :-)
> >
> > Right now for the meat, I am mostly using the Hamilton grill.
> > It's identical to the Foreman grill so drains most of the oils/fats
> > off. Drumsticks are leaner than thighs, but winglets are mostly bone
> > so those will be the most difficult!
> >
> > I just really am not overly fond of boneless skinless breast meat. Too
> > dry! I did buy some boneless skinless thighs and thawed them, then
> > used the poultry shears to remove as much of the large fat pads as I
> > could before grilling them.
> >
> > They are quite good!
> >
> > Also put up some 6 oz. portions of trimmed beef bottom round.....
> >
> > raw. ;-d
> >
> > I get so damned hungry trying to do this. Thank gods for celery!
> > It's filling and satisfying. So is fresh frozen cooked spinach.
> >
> > I'll have to check shrimp prices next week, and I have plenty of
> > whiting in the freezer. Catfish is going to be out for now :-( My
> > favorite fish but too high in fat. You should see the amount of oil
> > that cooks out of those fillets when I grill them in the Hamilton!

> Om,
>
> I ditched my forman grill into the dumpster last year but my bud gave me
> a mini one for Christmas. It does hotdogs "bitchin" but those grills will
> dry the hell out of chicken or catfish or burgers.

They can IF you over cook!
Marinade and shorter cooking times.

> I cook those in a glass-covered saute pot (tall sided pan) to keep the
> moisture from escaping. Usually the food drowns in it's own fat but the
> texture is just as you'd expect from a restaurant.

Well, I DO like the fact that the fat drains off.
I'm fixin' to pick up a decent toaster oven tho'.
It has it's own charms.

> That reminds me, I have a doc appointment tomorrow for bloodwork,
> cholesterol, etc.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Andy

Post the results? :-)

My total Cholesterol tends to be a bit high (around 240) but I believe
that a high triglyceride is worse! My last one was all the way down to
32. Results from low carbing! It's been as high as 300...

HDL fluctuates. Been as low as 35 and all the way up to 105!!! Floating
around 70 at the moment.

Wierd thing, shrimp drives up my HDL for several days! I've checked it
several times and it does it every single time. It was 73 a couple of
weeks ago, 3 days after eating shrimp.

HDL is the GOOD cholesterol.

Be sure to get a hemoglobin A1C

Good luck!