Posted to rec.food.cooking
JJ - RFC JJ - RFC is offline

Default Protein grams and portion control??? Pastorio?

One time on Usenet, OmManiPadmeOmelet > said:

> Need some help here, if you are trying to estimate protein grams and
> calorie counts for dietary restriction, do you weigh the meat raw or
> cooked?

I'm not Mr. Pastorio (nor do I play him on tv) but I weigh mine
after it's been cooked. I've lost 22 pounds since Nov. 1st.

> What do you do about bone-in chicken and meat weight estimates?
>
> I'm grilling some chicken drumsticks, what is the meat weight versus the
> bone weight?
>
> I know I can just de-bone the cooked meat and weigh it by itself... ;-)
> I'll have to wait until they cool enough to do that.
>
> But the first question still remains!

Here's a great resource for calorie and macronutrient counts, Om:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_ma...ecode=12354500

I've used their software and IIRC, it gives information for both
raw and cooked meats, with and without bones. HTH!

--
JJ (Jani) in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~