Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Kirtana's Kisses

W. Baker wrote:
> Nicky > wrote:
>
>: "Pete Romfh" > wrote in

message
>: ...
>: > I'd been looking for something to have as an after

dinner treat.
>: > My spouse mentioned meringues which I hadn't done for

ages.
>: > While researching this I thought of "Butterfly Kisses"

which was a
>: > song about someone's little girl. Then I thought of my

favorite
>: > little girl who just turned two last week.
>: >
>: > -= Exported from BigOven =-
>: >
>: > Kirtana's Kisses
>: >
>: > Light and gentle as a little girl's kiss. It's named

for my
>: > Granddaughter, Kirtana Maureen
>: > These treats are intended for diabetics. But everyone

seems to
>: > love them.
>: >
>: > Recipe By: Pete Romfh
>: > Serving Size: 32
>: > Cuisine: American
>: > Main Ingredient: Egg white
>: > Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Bake,

Snacks, Desserts,
>: > Cookies
>: >
>: > -= Ingredients =-
>: > 3/4 cup egg whites ; - room temperature
>: > 1/8 teaspoon salt
>: > 1 cup Splenda
>: > 2 drops ~~ red food coloring ~~
>: > 1 teaspoon ~~ almond extract ~~
>: > 3/4 cup Unsweetened coconut ; - shredded
>: >
>: > -= Instructions =-
>: > Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
>: >
>: > Place the eggs whites in a glass mixing bowl with

salt. Beat
>: > until the whites are stiff. Slowly add 1 cup of

Splenda beating
>: > constantly. Mix in food coloring, almond extract and

coconut
>: > using a slow deliberate mix to avoid deflating the

mixture.
>: >
>: > Drop the mixture from a teaspoon onto a greased and

well- floured
>: > baking sheet. Bake about 30 minutes. Turn oven off and

let kisses
>: > continue to sit
>: > in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
>: >
>: > While the original recipe called for almond extract,

there's no
>: > reason you couldn't use other flavors such as

peppermint,
>: > cinnamon, cocoa, or orange zest. Just remember to go

easy on the
>: > flavoring as these should be a delicately flavored

treat.
>: >
>: > Each (13g) Kiss contains an estimated:
>: > Cals: 33, FatCals: 10, TotFat: 1g
>: > SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
>: > Chol: 0mg, Na: 22mg, K: 18mg
>: > TotCarbs: 5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g,
>: > NetCarbs: 5g, Protein: 1g
>
>: Oo, cool! Thanks! I've been looking (not very hard) for a

meringue
>: recipe. I wasn't sure Splenda would do the right

chemistry.

>: How many eggs make 3/4 cup whites, at a guess?
>
>: Nicky.
>
> I ad one a year or so ago from Jennifer, I believe, that I

made and it
> worked!! The reslting meringues were even moe delicae

than usual adn
> have to be kept very dry or they kind of melt. I wonder

if they
> wouel work as base for tarts or a pavlova, beign filled

just before
> sering.

Slightly flatten the meringue in the middle, might need 2
teaspoons of meringue for a single serve pavlova. Then add
your whipped cream and a strawberry (I say strawberry
because they are low GI). Probably won't have that "wet"
soft centre like a regular pavlova.