Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Kirtana's Kisses

Nicky > wrote:

: "Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
: ...
: > I'd been looking for something to have as an after dinner treat. My spouse
: > mentioned meringues which I hadn't done for ages.
: > While researching this I thought of "Butterfly Kisses" which was a song
: > about someone's little girl. Then I thought of my favorite little girl who
: > just turned two last week.
: >
: > -= Exported from BigOven =-
: >
: > Kirtana's Kisses
: >
: > Light and gentle as a little girl's kiss. It's named for my Granddaughter,
: > Kirtana Maureen
: > These treats are intended for diabetics. But everyone seems to love them.
: >
: > Recipe By: Pete Romfh
: > Serving Size: 32
: > Cuisine: American
: > Main Ingredient: Egg white
: > Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Low Carb, Bake, Snacks, Desserts, Cookies
: >
: > -= Ingredients =-
: > 3/4 cup egg whites ; - room temperature
: > 1/8 teaspoon salt
: > 1 cup Splenda
: > 2 drops ~~ red food coloring ~~
: > 1 teaspoon ~~ almond extract ~~
: > 3/4 cup Unsweetened coconut ; - shredded
: >
: > -= Instructions =-
: > Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
: >
: > Place the eggs whites in a glass mixing bowl with salt. Beat until the
: > whites are stiff. Slowly add 1 cup of Splenda beating constantly. Mix in
: > food coloring, almond extract and coconut using a slow deliberate mix to
: > avoid deflating the mixture.
: >
: > Drop the mixture from a teaspoon onto a greased and well- floured baking
: > sheet. Bake about 30 minutes. Turn oven off and let kisses continue to
: > sit
: > in oven for 1 1/2 hours.
: >
: > While the original recipe called for almond extract, there's no reason you
: > couldn't use other flavors such as peppermint, cinnamon, cocoa, or orange
: > zest. Just remember to go easy on the flavoring as these should be a
: > delicately flavored treat.
: >
: > Each (13g) Kiss contains an estimated:
: > Cals: 33, FatCals: 10, TotFat: 1g
: > SatFat: 1g, PolyFat: 0g, MonoFat: 0g
: > Chol: 0mg, Na: 22mg, K: 18mg
: > TotCarbs: 5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 0g,
: > NetCarbs: 5g, Protein: 1g

: Oo, cool! Thanks! I've been looking (not very hard) for a meringue recipe. I
: wasn't sure Splenda would do the right chemistry.

: How many eggs make 3/4 cup whites, at a guess?

: Nicky.

I ad one a year or so ago from Jennifer, I believe, that I made and it
worked!! The reslting meringues were even moe delicae than usual adn have
to be kept very dry or they kind of melt. I wonder if they wouel work as
base for tarts or a pavlova, beign filled just before sering.

If I cn lcate it in my fioes I wil post it here.

Wendy