Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt Hunt is offline

Default Anyone Recall a B-N-B Wine, Matilda Bay?

In article .com>, spamtrap1
@cwdjr.info says...

>Hunt wrote:
>> At a
>> point in the evening, one hit me, that I had not thought about for years-

many
>> years, Matilda Bay. This was a bag-in-a-box wine-blend. IIRC, it was

actually
>> FROM Australia, though that may have just been a marketing ploy. This had

>> be in the late 70's, or very early 80's, and Crocodile Dundee had not yet

been
>> released, but Koala's were hitting the US market for Quantas Airline, as I
>> remember.

>> Now my questions: does anyone else recall this wine? Was it, in fact, a
>> product from OZ? Was it just marketed to the US market? Does anyone recall/
>> know the blend of grapes?

>I never had Matilda Bay, but I think I remember mention of it many
>years ago. I finally found a thread about old wine coolers on Google.
>There was one entry about Matilda Bay.
>
>"But, when it comes to 80's wine coolers, there's really only two words
>- Matilda Bay. It was put out by Miller, there was a yellow label and a
>purple label. Each label was a different flavor, but I don't remember;
>I think one might have been 'tropical' or something like that. It went
>down much easier than the fruit/berry flavors."
>
>Also Matilda Bay is a brewery in Australia that makes several beers
>that seem to have a considerable following.

Thanks. Obviously, I need to get a copy of Boolean for Dummies, as I turned
up no mention of this wine. Though it was a b-n-b wine, it predated the wine-
cooler craze, at least in the US. For its retail run, or my purchases of it,
it was only a b-n-b, but could have been reformulated into a cooler later in
its lifespan. As I recall it, the body was not sufficient to add any fizzy
water, but they could have held the "fruit juice" spigot open a bit longer,
and maybe added a crushed gardenia, or two to keep the "floral" aspect. Hm-m-
m, I wish I had bothered to read the fine print, as we had several boxes over
the years. Maybe a wine-like product from the OZ brewery?

Hunt