Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz[_1_] cwdjrxyz[_1_] is offline

Default Anyone Recall a B-N-B Wine, Matilda Bay?

Hunt wrote:
> At a
> point in the evening, one hit me, that I had not thought about for years-many
> years, Matilda Bay. This was a bag-in-a-box wine-blend. IIRC, it was actually
> FROM Australia, though that may have just been a marketing ploy. This had to
> be in the late 70's, or very early 80's, and Crocodile Dundee had not yet been
> released, but Koala's were hitting the US market for Quantas Airline, as I
> remember.

> Now my questions: does anyone else recall this wine? Was it, in fact, a
> product from OZ? Was it just marketed to the US market? Does anyone recall/
> know the blend of grapes?

I never had Matilda Bay, but I think I remember mention of it many
years ago. I finally found a thread about old wine coolers on Google.
There was one entry about Matilda Bay.

"But, when it comes to 80's wine coolers, there's really only two words
- Matilda Bay. It was put out by Miller, there was a yellow label and a
purple label. Each label was a different flavor, but I don't remember;
I think one might have been 'tropical' or something like that. It went
down much easier than the fruit/berry flavors."

Also Matilda Bay is a brewery in Australia that makes several beers
that seem to have a considerable following.