Posted to rec.food.baking
Chembake Chembake is offline

Default Problem with formula for "Hard Dinner Rolls"

Hello Rich
You did not give the timing for your dough make up., resting period
after mixing, after scaling and rounding, etc.

But anyway
Your recipe appears underhydrated...if you are using a bread
flour...and a lean dough.you need to use a water of at least 60%.
The hard rolls I make for a certain restaurant is slightly similar to
your recipe but has a hydration of 63%.
Another thing is your dough might be warm so promoting the yeast to
rise faster making the dough balls gassy...
Did you ever rest the dough balls before rounding and molding...?
A freshly divided firm dough is easy to round...but if overrested
....it becomes bucky...to mold that it does not form a ball easily...but
deforms to an odd shape.

Controlling the dough temperature is one way to prevent this from
occurring; warm dough rise fast and difficult to mold...
Another thing is if the dough was exposed to the ambient low humidity,
the surface dries up fast making it difficult to round/mold as well.
Cover your dough while resting with a damp cloth.
Another way if the dough balls appear dry to the touch and difficult to
mold
In that condition...I wet my hands slightly with water before I round
/mold the dough...and it helps...