Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Alan S[_2_] Alan S[_2_] is offline

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

"Dan Krueger" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Alan S wrote:
>
>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>> smoke some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking
>> fish?
>>
>> Thx,
>>
>> - A -
>>

> I use a small piece of hickory and a few larger chunks of apple with
> excellent results. Skip mesquite for fish (or any food, IMHO).
>
> A good brine of salt and brown sugar and appropriate spices is just as
> important as the preparation.
>
> If you have any left over, try a smoked fish dip. Great stuff! I'll dig
> up a recipe I use that is cream cheese based if you are interested. Many
> others use mayonnaise. It's a matter of taste.
>
> Dan

Yes I am interested, I have a lot of fish to cook. I agree with you about
mesquite for the most part, sometimes I'll use 1 large, well seasoned log
sometime during the cooking of a brisket but I have had that stuff tar up my
pit something fierce before so I don't use it much. I like Hickory, Oak and
Pecan. I was going to make a joke about using landscape timber but I got to
thinking that there might be some dumbass down the road that might find this
post and try it. I am going to buy some apple this evening and smoke my fish
with apple and pecan.