Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Will[_1_] Will[_1_] is offline

Default Opinions on the "South African Sourdough Culture"

Trix wrote:

> I am beginning to wonder if the type of starter really makes the
> difference or if there is still some technique which is alluding me.

I suspect it is both. I've made a number of starters over the years.
Rye and wheat starters are different, red wheat and white wheat
starters, as a subset, are different. Roy Bassin, posted an interesting
link to a PDF last year about the DNA typing of microbes found in
various grain supplies in the Mediterranean. Each supply basin has it's
own variants.

After you have a culture started as in: the muck is bubbling away and
raising dough, I think maintenance takes over. You have a microbe farm
and you are the farmer. What you do determines whether you have pigs or
geese. So to speak.

Will