Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
serene serene is offline

Default OT: Restaurants in Oakland (was Textured Soy Protein How to Prepare?

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:31:35 GMT, "Jen" > wrote:

>Would you mind posting the restaurant you eat at in Oakland? I live
>here too..always searching for good veg. food!
>TY

My best recommendations (I live in North Oakland, but I'm relatively
new here, so I'm sure it's a VERY limited list) follow. I included
the places nearby that are in Berkeley, especially since my favorite
veggie place is there.

Long Life Vegi House, central Berkeley (vegetarian and seafood) --
they make wonderful gluten- and soy-based "meat" dishes. My partner
didn't believe the sweet-and-sour "pork" wasn't really meat.

Addis (Ethiopian/Eritrean), north Oakland (62nd & Telegraph) -- their
veggie combo is delicious and plentiful

Lanesplitter pizza, 48th or so & Telegraph -- they have a vegan "notta
ricotta" that they use to make their pizzas and calzones vegan if you
want

Anzu sushi, central Berkeley (Haste or so and Shattuck). Their
avocado roll is very good and very inexpensive. Two dollars and
change. Perfect snack while walking around and window shopping.

Temescal Cafe, 49th & Telegraph -- they always have their lovely vegan
chili, and lots of good vegetarian/vegan entrees, along with their
wonderful salad that I could eat every single day. The staff treats
us so well that we feel like we belong there.

Asmara, 49th & Telegraph -- another good Ethiopian place whose veggie
combo is delicious

Gypsy Trattoria, Durant Ave in Berkeley. They make the pasta sauces
to order, and the gnocchi is wonderful, as is the penne gorgonzola.
It's noisy and full of college students, and the service is quick and
no-nonsense.

Smart Alec's, Durant & Telegraph, Berkeley. A bowl of one of their
five vegan soups (corn chowder, lentil, vegetable, potato-leek, and
something else I can't remember) and a HUGE chunk of cornbread is
$2.99. So good. Also, they have a decent veggie burger and a bunch
of really good salads. You can get wheatberries and edamame on your
salad, too. Their fries are low-fat, and the place is another loud,
college-kid-filled one. (I work at Cal.)

Nomad Cafe, 65th & Shattuck, North Oakland. Their Toasted Roasted
sandwich is the most decadent grilled cheese you ever had in your life
-- havarti and roasted red peppers, yum. And I love their baba
ganouj. I run a spoken-word thing there on Thursday nights, and the
staff is amazingly cool.

Genova ravioli factory/deli, 51st & Telegraph, in the Walgreens
center. If there's anything better than their cheese ravioli tossed
with their marinated tomatoes and a few pine nuts, and served with a
side of their brie-and-roquefort cheese (I forget its real name, but I
think it starts with a c), then I don't know what it is.

I'll probably think of more later.

Serene