Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:17:43 +0000, Alan S wrote:

>>> I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to
>>> smoke
>>> some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

> I have a real smoker and I have Oak and Pecan at the moment but haven't been
> able to get down to the other side of town lately to pick up any Hickory.
> Does anyone know where I can pick up Alder, Cherry or Apple in Austin
> (preferably north)?
>
> Thx Again,
>
> - A -

Where did you fish? I have caught plenty Mackerel and Shark off Matagorda.
Someone gave me the alder. Use the pecan. Mackerel is strong enough that
most any smoke other than a 2x4's will work well. The fruit woods are
milder and well suited to a milder flavored fish but on the Mackerel
would be wasted..since they are realitively scarce in central Texas in any
quantity. Post back your results.