Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken Peter Aitken is offline

Default Any Good Smoked Fish Recipes?

"Alan S" > wrote in message
m...
>I caught some King Mackerel and Shark last weekend and would like to smoke
>some of it. Any good suggestions? What wood is best for smoking fish?

I've had excellent luck smoking king mackerel fillets as follows. I used
hickory but to be honest I do not think the type of wood makes much
difference.

Skinned fillets up to 1 inch thick.

Brine: 1/2c Morton kosher salt + 1/4 c sugar per quart of water.

Brine fish for 90 minutes in the fridge, maybe up to 2 hours if you want a
more salty taste. Rinse and place on a rack on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate
uncovered until pellicle forms (surface will be shiny and dry but slightly
tacky). Smoke for 2-3 hours. Longer time gives drier fish but more smoke
taste. I use a Brinkman electric water smoker that holds at about 200
degrees.

--
Peter Aitken