Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom[_1_] modom[_1_] is offline

Default Hot tamales!

On 7 Feb 2006 11:18:07 -0800, "dodis" > wrote:

>Out of lurk here....
>
>My wife makes tamales fairly regular, usually about 20 dozen per batch.
>We use a pork picnic roast or shoulder roast, which is usually about
>$.99 per lb here. Yes, use lard in the masa, even the prepared masa in
>the store, it's only masa and water, still needs the lard and spices.
>We also get the lard from the local carniceria, freshly rendered. We
>also prefer to use MASECA brand dry masa rather then the store bought
>ready stuff. We use stock rather than water when preparing it for
>better flavor.

I like MASECA, too. But I don't make tamales often enough and I've
had it go off on me. Presumably the oil in the corn went rancid. And
I use stock when I have it, and I most times do have it when making
tamales because it's how I use turkey leftovers. Next time tamales
are on the menu, I'll have to check with a carniceria for some of that
real lard, you speak of.

>For serving options beyond freshly steamed or nuked from the freezer,
>there are a few we use. Peel and pan fry in more lard till crispy, then
>serve covered in lettuce, tomato, (cheese if you want), some sour cream
>or avocado slasa, and *opt* hot salsa of your choice (we do this for
>flautas too). Another is to put them on the BBQ and grill in the husk
>till hot, then serve with salsa, peel and eat.

These sound abosultely fantastic! Don't lurk, my good man. Give us
the benefit of your experience and knowledge.

modom