Posted to rec.food.cooking
dodis dodis is offline

Default Hot tamales!

Out of lurk here....

My wife makes tamales fairly regular, usually about 20 dozen per batch.
We use a pork picnic roast or shoulder roast, which is usually about
$.99 per lb here. Yes, use lard in the masa, even the prepared masa in
the store, it's only masa and water, still needs the lard and spices.
We also get the lard from the local carniceria, freshly rendered. We
also prefer to use MASECA brand dry masa rather then the store bought
ready stuff. We use stock rather than water when preparing it for
better flavor.

For serving options beyond freshly steamed or nuked from the freezer,
there are a few we use. Peel and pan fry in more lard till crispy, then
serve covered in lettuce, tomato, (cheese if you want), some sour cream
or avocado slasa, and *opt* hot salsa of your choice (we do this for
flautas too). Another is to put them on the BBQ and grill in the husk
till hot, then serve with salsa, peel and eat.

dodis