Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Hot tamales!

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Woo-hoo! My new best friend Soccorro The Tamale Empress said she'd
> bring my tamales to the Y this morning

(snippage of a fun afternoon)
> We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad
> and some of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I
> saw a recipe on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for
> tamale recipes and this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked.
> Something about adding two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Yeah, they aren't exactly health food but boy are they good! Usually it's
*lard* mixed into the masa harina to make the masa dough.

> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling?

I made beef tamales using a big ol' chuck roast. Not sure what would be
best for pork tamales.

What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and
> am curious.

Certainly not a bad thing! Accompany them with whatever you wish!

Jill