Posted to rec.food.cooking
pablo pablo is offline

Default Hot tamales!

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
snipped*
> Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
> effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
> are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
> Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
> *bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
> curious.

*
I usually make carne al pastor with whatever kind of pork roast is on
sale -- I think it was a blade roast the last time. Braising is probably
your best bet. Don't be afraid to throw lots of spices into the beer, uh,
....er braising liquid, I mean.

In sunny Tucson, we usually eat tamales with pinto beans -- either refritos
or de olla. (I like them from the pot.) I use a very mild hot sauce on the
tamales. My favorite is "Tamazula," which I think is almost like ketchup.
(I avoid the salsas made chiefly from vinegar.)

You're right about the fat content --it's high. I think a few avocado
slices and a fruit salad would balance the meal out nicely. And you can't
go wrong with a nice tossed salad.

Buen provecho,
Pablo