Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom[_1_] modom[_1_] is offline

Default Hot tamales!

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:59:25 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
> I toted them around with me for a few hours as I met a friend for lunch
>and improved the local economy somewhat at the Lands' End Inlet store.
>We had them for supper. With nothing but a green tossed salad and some
>of that salsa verde. They were so freakin' good! Then I saw a recipe
>on, I think, sonofsouth.com (I'd done a search for tamale recipes and
>this site has nice pictures.) that looks wicked. Something about adding
>two CUPS of oil to the masa! Eeeek!!!

Lard, woman. You put lard in the masa for tamales. It makes them
light and fluffy. I don't know why, but it is so.

>Couple questions for the panel: What kind of pork roast is used
>effectively for the filling? What else goes on the plate when tamales
>are on the menu? What I picture is a combination plate from El Loro
>Restaurante -- frijoles, arroz, an enchilada or something. Is is a
>*bad* thing to eat them unaccompanied? I don't know these things and am
>curious.

I usually use the leftover smoked tukey from Thanksgiving and/or
Christmas when I make tamales. I add a slice of pickled jalapeno to
each one and roll it up. Other than that, I don't know. You want it
very tender and well spiced, I'm sure, whatever meat cut you use.

My holiday tamales are usually served with a salsa made from leftover
cranberry/orange relish and cilantro and jalapenos. And maybe a
dollop of sour cream. But non-holiday tamales are served with chili
hereabouts. Rice also sounds nice. And a green salad.

Eating them is a pleasure and accompanied or not that's never a bad
thing.

modom