Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
mlbriggs mlbriggs is offline

Default Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:20:26 -0800, Rob wrote:

> I stopped using Lipton tea about 15 years ago. I tried a number of
> different brands, both in the same price range and above, and found
> without exception that every one of them was superior to Lipton, which
> in comparison seemed too astringent and lacking in body.
>
> A couple of months ago, I had to attend a seminar so I had to resort to
> buying a cup of tea instead of making my own, and the only choice was
> Lipton. I was surprised when it tasted a lot better than I thought it
> would. Of course, my expectations were not that high to begin with.
>
> I just returned from grocery shopping and on a whim, bought two boxes
> of Lipton tea bags because they were on sale - 2 boxes of 100 tea bags
> for $5. I figured that, if nothing else, they could be used to make
> iced tea. When I got home, I decided to make a cup, just out of
> curiosity. I let it infuse for 5 minutes, and it made a nice, dark
> brew - just how I like it. In the past, I seem to remember Lipton
> making a very pale liquor. I am sipping on it right now, and I must
> say it is surprisingly good with none of the astringency that I
> remember from years ago. This is a much smoother, full-bodied tea than
> what I grew up with.
>
> Lipton's packaging has changed significantly in recent years, but I had
> assumed that the tea itself had stayed the same. Now I am convinced
> that they have changed their blend. Probably they were losing market
> share and were forced to improve the quality. Either that or my taste
> buds have gone to hell altogether -- LOL!!
>
> I definitely would have no qualms about drinking Lipton in the future.
> I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this change?

I have been drinking Lipton's green tea and like it. I quit drinking
Lipton's black many years ago because it made my teeth extra sensitive.
Today I fished a 4 oz can of Twining's Jasmine from the back of a top
shelf. It has been there for many years. Instead of throwing it out, I
made a pot for lunch. It was still fragrant and tasted good. How long
will tea keep as a general rule? MLB