Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Rob[_2_] Rob[_2_] is offline

Default Has anyone tried Lipton tea lately?

Dominic T. wrote:

> Honestly it can be a couple of factors. Time of day, quality of water,
> and personal taste. They only have Lipton in my office (which I barely
> ever touch) but when I do it is always to add some sugar to and get all
> the caffeine and sugar as possible early in the day or to keep me going
> for the last hour.
>
> It is always slightly bitter and acidic and harsh, especially if brewed
> for 5 minutes! However, I'm always one to say go with what tastes good
> to *you* not some critic or whoever else. My best suggestion to you
> would be to try a few other teas in this class and then decide: Taj
> Mahal Brand Tea (found in Indian groceries), PG Tips, Typhoo (nice if
> you like strong tea), or a good english breakfast tea.

I've ben drinking PG Tips and Taj Mahal for quite a while now. I am
not saying that Lipton is the best tea I've ever had, but what I had
today was perfectly acceptable in a bind. And believe me, before this
I would not touch any Lipton product with a 10-foot pole. Taj Mahal
still remains my favorite because the price is right and it is a
stronger brew than Lipton.

I do think the mainstream brands have been forced to improve their
blends due to the increased availablity of gourmet teas. I read that a
few years ago Tetley changed its formula. They replaced their
"original" blend with the "classic" blend, which is supposedly the same
blend they sell in the UK. I am beginning to think that Lipton may
have quietly done the same. I noticed that the phrase "Brisk" no
longer appears on their packaging. In fact, the package is a lot
closer to the Lipton Yellow Label packaging that the rest of the world
gets.

The Lipton provided in your office may be a foodservice version or it
may just be old. There's a takeout place in the lobby of my building
where coffee and tea are sold and I noticed that they are still selling
Tetley Original Blend, which was discontinued by Tetley about six years
ago.