Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_1_] Brick[_1_] is offline

Default where to go in houston (bbq)

On 3-Feb-2006, "Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> > "A. Kesteloo" wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> My brother is going to houston (texas). can you
> >> recommend a good bbq place he should go to?

> We have a number of good BBQ Shacks here in Houston. Depends on what part
> of
> town he will be in.
> I work on the theory, "If there's more than one of the same name, it's a
> chain." so I tend to like the small places where you can meet the
> owner/chef/pitmaster while you're having a meal. At the one near our
> neighborhood the guy invited to to spend time cooking with him to pick up
> tips.
>
> A local restaurant review site is http://www.b4-u-eat.com/
> The reviews there are from patrons, not paid reviewers.
> So their opinions may be worth just what you paid for them.
>
> --
> Pete Romfh

Back in the 80's there was a place in Houston with a reputation rivaling
Arthur Bryant's in KC. It too was owned and operated by an elderly
black man and it too was decorated in a rather Spartan fashion. The
'Q' was as good as it gets. The experience sticks in memory due to
our 'my' driver that day. He was a converted New York taxi driver. I'll
never understand how he got away with some of the stunts he pulled
that day.

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)