Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Culinary school opinions

In article >, wrote:

> TigBits wrote:

> > Due to some recent major changes in my life, I'm debating a complete 180
> > degree change in my career, and I'm seriously contemplating a degree in the
> > culinary arts. I'm 35 yrs old and recently divorced, and sick and tired of
> > drawing house plans.
> >
> > I currently live near and work in Gainesville, FL. and because I want to
> > stay close to my 7 year old daughter, I'd like the school I go to be located
> > in Florida also. Unfortunately, neither the University of Florida or Santa
> > Fe Community College offer any sort of culinary programs whatsoever.
> > Therefore, my choices have been narrowed down to these two possibilities
> > that I'd like opinions on. Please keep in mind that cost of the school is
> > not really important, as my Dad has always promised me that he'd put me
> > through school, anytime, anywhere.
> >
> > 1. Orlando Culinary Academy / Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts, I like this
> > place because they offer a Bachelor's degree in culinary arts.
> > 2. The Art Institute of Tampa - Florida / Associate's (only) in Culinary
> > Arts. These folks have been aggressively pursuing me since I filled out a
> > little form on their website, which kind of puts me off.
> >
> > So, does anyone here have firsthand experience with either one of these
> > schools? I've worked (non fast food) restaurants before in several
> > capacities, but never at the level that I'd be at after attending one of
> > these programs, so I have a very basic idea of what I'm getting myself into
> > crazy hours, tons of stress, no life, etc... and I'm willing to accept
> > that, as my life right now is not at all what I thought it'd be at this
> > stage of my travels.

> Before you jump why not investigate the profession. The job can be a LOT of
> hours.

Sounds like he's already factored that in. He's also factored in the
outrageous cost (not that I know what those two places charge), and it
doesn't matter since he isn't paying for it.

What concerns me is his statement about "level that I'd be at after
attending one of these programs". My understanding is that right after
you get out, this diploma is worthless as far as money and
responsibility. My understanding and experience is very limited, and
doesn't apply to your coast. Still, you ought to check this out. The
people who run kitchens don't like culinary academy graduates. They
will attempt to give you the same level of responsibility and money as
the kid who just fell out of high school with no idea what to do, except
earn enough to buy food and pay the rent.

I've tried to argue with my daughter about this. Her roommate is a
student at CCA (California Culinary Academy). It's US$20000 (yup, four
zeroes) for nine months. But her friend knows what she's doing. OK.
Not my job, and certainly not my daughter's job. The sad thing is that
there is an excellent culinary academy right here at the junior college,
which I assume is really cheap.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA