Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default "Candied" Fruits

Night Spirit > wrote:
: W. Baker Boldly typed:
: > There ws a brief discussion on a food mailing list I read requesting
: > a way o make candies orange and/or grapefruit peels with artificial
: > sweeteners. I don't think you can really do this without the sugar
: > as
: > you will just get a kind of stewed fruit peels. I had ried to make
: > something like my Mother;s crabapple and kumquat dishes that were
: > cooked in a sugar syrup until they became translucent and the sryup
: > became very think adn gummy. i just had pleasant stewed fruit, for
: > my
: > efforts.
: >
: > Does anyone have any ideas about this? Would any of the sugr
: > alcohols
: > make such "danied" fruits or fruit peels plssible? The discussion
: > had started over candied ginger, something I do miss:-(
: >
: > Wendy

: What about Stevia?

It wouldn't fit the bill. It doesn't crystalize or make thicky syrupy
liquits adn translucent fruit. Same reason Splenda, Sweet and Low or
Aspertame wouldn't work for this purpose.

Wendy