Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default Cola or diet cola?

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote in message

> You can't tell the difference? Before I knew I was a diabetic, I liked
> regular coke. Once I started drinking a can I'd just bought and it
> tasted very weird. After a few more sips I decided it was possible
> dangerously contaminated and carefully poured the rest away to see if
> anything came out like a dead beetle. I then started reading the can
> to find out who to write my complaint to. That's when I realised I'd
> been given a can of diet coke by mistake.

I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years prior
to diabetes going out with a friend to a big food festival. We had walked
there since her house was less than a mile a away and there was a lack of
parking there. No problems walking there. But we were there for several
hours and the temperature had grown very hot. By the time we got back, we
were overheated and thirsty. She offered me a drink and it turned out to be
a very small glass of regular Coke with lots of ice in it. Foolishly I took
a big drink of it, thinking that anyone who knew me as well as she did
wouldn't dare offer me a regular soda. But she said it was all that she had
and she figured I'd drink it since I was so thirsty. All it did was make me
more thirsty to the point where I had to leave right away. I then drove to
the nearest store and bought a bottle of diet soda. Now I never leave the
house without a drink. Might be only a large bottle of water, but if I'm
out for any length of time, I also take a cooler with diet soda.

> I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really revolting, but I'm
> not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several people who
> prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been bought a coke
> in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the kind they'd
> asked for.

It took me a while to adjust to Diet Coke. My preferred drink was Tab. I
loved that bitter aftertaste! But it contained Saccharine and I was told to
avoid it while pregnant. So I had to wean myself from it, allowing myself
one in the morning for about a week and then switching to the Diet Coke in
the morning. There were other diet drinks I liked, so I had those
throughout the day since I was also limited as to the amount of caffeine I
was allowed.

As soon as I had the baby, I went back to the Tab. But then I moved to CA
and couldn't find any cans of Tab. Only the 2 liter bottles. I don't like
those because they don't fit in the fridge and they tend to go flat very
quickly. So I made the switch to Diet Coke and eventually go used to it.
Then when I moved again and found Tab, I discovered that I no longer liked
it. I also discovered that they changed the formula and the very reason I
liked it (bitter aftertaste) was gone!

Now Diet Pepsi? Yuck, noooooooo! That stuff is just plain nasty! Waaaay
too sweet for my tastes.

--
See my webpage: