Posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default Cola or diet cola?

"Freckles" > wrote in message

> Order what you want in either a bottle or a can. If all they have is
> fountain drinks, then order coffee, tea, plain water or nothing.
>
> Of course many, maybe even most of us of age, would order wine or beer

with
> our meal when we dine out.

I don't know of any restaurants here that serve things in bottles or cans.
I remember one deli in CA and some pizza places in NY, but not here. I
always order Diet Coke. I've been ordering diet drinks since they first
came out with them. Can't stand regular drinks. Never could. I can tell
by the first sip if I've gotten the wrong thing. This happened to me only
once since I've had diabetes. I was starving and at the time was taking
pills that had to be taken prior to eating. I took the pills with the soda
and immediately noticed that it was wrong. Alas, instead of taking a small
sip as I usually would, I guzzled down a large swig because I was very
thirst. And indeed, my BG following the meal of soup and salad was a bit
higher than usual.

I do not like to order tea in a restaurant unless it is one that specializes
in tea. Too many times I've gotten a pot of water that wasn't really hot
enough to make tea. And sometimes I also get an inferior tea bag. Iced tea
can be problematic. In sometimes comes sweetened and is not available
unsweetened. I think this is more common in some parts of the country/world
than others. And even if it's not sweetened there is no guarantee that it
is fresh. I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of cleaning out
the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea to it.
Often, mold would form in there. I don't drink coffee much at all any more.
I used to when I smoked. It went well with cigarettes. As such, I want to
smoke when I have it. So I don't have it. I don't care much for water
either unless it is good bottled water. All too often the stuff from the
tap tastes awful!

--
See my webpage: