Posted to sci.agriculture,sci.skeptic,alt.food.vegan,uk.business.agriculture
Bruce Sinclair Bruce Sinclair is offline

Default Genetic modification (was: Coming Soon to a Paddy Near You: Frankenrice !)

In article >, John Beardmore > wrote:
>In message >, Oz
> writes
>
>>Oh, its quite clear. Inserting a single known gene with a precise action
>>means you know what the effect will be (pretty much),

>Does that not depend where it's inserted ? How much control over that
>do you have these days ?

I reckon it probably does. As with all things, we think we know what we are
doing when we really just have more questions. The concept of gene ecology
may well become a growing field as some of those questions are answered
Likewise the data suggests we know only some of the controls currently.

Is it "better" or "worse" than breeding ? ... probably

Bruce

(if there were any)