Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
rick rick is offline

Default Can we do better?

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Leif Erikson wrote:
>> Dave wrote:

>> > No it's you who are missing the point.

>> Rick is correct: YOU are the one missing the point

>> > Their use of meat is less than it would be if they weren't
>> > vegan.
>> > By continuing to be vegan they are removing their
>> > contribution
>> > towards the commercial incentive to produce meat of any
>> > kind.

>> No. You are wrong.
>>
>> First of all, their withdrawal from the market for meat was a
>> one-time
>> effect.

> It is an ongoing effect. If they reversed their decision demand
> would
> increase.
>
>> Secondly, it was too small to be noticed.

> Individual consumer habits are barely noticed by the markets if
> at all.
>
> Many people use this an excuse for not considering the impacts
> the
> products they buy have upon humans, animals and the
> environment.
> This is one of the reasons the planet is f***d up in some ways
> and
> a major weakness of the free market.
>
>> They removed their
>> demand ONCE and once only; it does not have any continuing
>> impact.
>>
>> If they were for some reason to abandon "veganism" and return
>> to the
>> market for meat products, that too would be too small to be
>> noticed.
>> "vegans" are even a very tiny minority with the broader
>> vegetarian
>> community. As a percentage of the population, they are
>> doubtless less
>> than one half of one percent.

> I don't entirely agree with veg*nism but I do admire veg*ns for
> taking
> some responsibility for their consumer habits. If everyone
> followed
> their example the world would be a much better place.

ROTFLMAO That's a hoot!!! Tell us what those 'examples' are
dave. Not eating meat does not automatically mean a lesser
impact on animals or the environment! that's been the whole
point I've been making all along. Now, if you can prove that it
does, be my guest. No one ever has yet, maybe you'll be the
first!