Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
rick rick is offline

Default Can we do better?

"Dave" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> rick wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>> > No it's you who are missing the point.

>> =======================
>> No, you are being willfully obtuse on the point..
>> Again, there is no 'reduction' involved by vegans. They are
>> already
>> non-participants in the process of producing meats. You
>> cannot
>> reduce what you have not engaged in to begin with.

> It is an ongoing reduction compared to a meat eater. The veg*n
> is still a *potential* consumer of meat in that they could
> consume
> it but choose not to.

==========================
LOL There is no on-going *reduction* by vegans. Are you really
this dense, or just refuse to see facts?
Again, take an econ 101 course...

>> And, their non-participation does NOTHING to provide an
>> incentive
>> for producers to change their methods.

> Correct. They don't provide the producers a beef an incentive
> continue producing their product using any method.

=========================
Yet they still rant about wanting to change what they see as a a
problem industry.
As is, they have NO impact on the industry, and especially no
imapct on any change.

>> Since they are already
>> not buying meat,
>> any change has to come from those that are paying for that
>> change.

> People who buy "factory" meats provide an incentive for
> fatcory farming. People who buy Grass-fed meats provide
> an incentive for intensive grazing systems. People who buy
> no meat at all provide no incentive to produce meat by any
> method. It's not rocket science.

===========================
Apparently to you it is. Non-buyers of meat have NO impact on
the industry, period.
Not buying meat does nothing to bring about there demands for a
change. They are non-participants
in anything the meat industry does.

>> > Their use of meat is less than it would be if they weren't
>> > vegan.
>> > By continuing to be vegan they are removing their
>> > contribution
>> > towards the commercial incentive to produce meat of any
>> > kind.

>> ======================
>> No, they are not. They have no effect on the market at all.
>> I buy no llama wool from the Andes. I never plan to, and
>> never
>> will.
>> I have ZERO effect on the market for llama wool. If it is
>> produced inhumanely
>> I have no say in the impact of making changes. Same goes for
>> vegan that do not,
>> and will not ever buy meat. They have no impact on production
>> methods or supply.

> Right. And if everyone had zero impact on supply then their
> would
> be no commercial production which is what veg*ns want.

================================
They have no impact on that want. They are non-participants,
period.

>> > I'm feeling exactly that way about what you are writing.
>> > Your logic is deeply flawed on this issue.

>> > The animals that are kept in overcrowded sheds where their
>> > natural behaviours are frustrated to some degree.

>> ============================
>> And which ones are those? Tell me the meats that I eat that
>> have
>> those animals on my plate.

> I have already stated that I have no objection to meat per se,
> just the main commercial methods of that production. If you
> had been listening you would realise that I am applauding the
> actions of people who avoid animal products that result from
> these methods regardless of whether they consume no animal
> products at all or whether they consume only animal products
> that have been produced using more appropriate methods.

==================================
Avoiding the products of an industry you don't like does
*nothing* to make that industry change.

>> > You just don't get it do you?

>> =======================
>> Obviuosly you don't. Try econ 101, and get back with us.

> You first.
> ===========================

Already have, and further... You are obviously unwilling to
learn...

>> > Yes but the method of death isn't the only issue here.

>> ==========================
>> How about numbers then? Vegans lose on that count here too.

> Compared to conscientious meat consumers, possibly.

========================
To their own diets. That's the problem with usenet vegans. They
are all talk. They spew about meats and have *never* compared
the foods that they eat to each other. Which causes more death
and suffering to animals? Rice? Potatoes? Bananas? Brocolli?
they don't care. They have their simple rule for their simple
mind, 'eat no meat.'

>> > You'll never get it.

>> ==========================
>> You keep avoiding it. Why?

> There's no point in repeating myself if you stubbornly refuse
> be logical.

==========================
I am beiung logical. You, on the other hand...

>> > You'll never get it.

>> ==========================
>> You keep avoiding it. Why?

>> > You'll never get it.

>> ==========================
>> You keep avoiding it. Why?

>> > Because you are talking nonsense.

>> =====================
>> No, I am not. I'm the one discussing supply/demand. You seem
>> think that never being involved in the process somehow means
>> something. Producers don't make products for people that
>> aren't
>> buying them, and never will.

> Bingo!

===============================
LOL And those people that have never bought a product and never
will have NO inpact on those production levels.
being a non-participant means that no one is listening to your
loonism, and that your wishes mean nothing.

>> > Becuase it is an important point which you obviously don't
>> > understand
>> > the significance of.

>> ==========================
>> You keep avoiding it. Why?

>> > That line of argument only works if the feedstuffs,
>> > antibiotics
>> > and
>> > suchlike are also local and regional.

>> ============================
>> It's kinda hard to import pastureland/rangeland eh?
>> And what part of chemical-free meats don't you understand?

> Me: Compared with eating grass fed beef that [the proposition
> that being vegan results in many more animal deaths] may well
> be true. Compared with eating *cheap factory meats* it self
> evidently isn't.
>
> You: No it isn't self evident.
>
> F***ing hell. Get back to me when you have taken comprehension
> 101.

=================================
ROTFLMAO You're the one that had it go right over your head,
fool. You brought up feed and biotics, even after being told
that the meats I eat, and am talking about don't use them. So,
I'm left to think you must be talking about the only things the
meat I eat uses, grasslands and ranges. Willful ignorance
doesn't become you...

>> You keep failing to understnad the issues I mention,

> The only thing I need to understand is that you have a logical
> blindspot
> regarding this issue.
> ===================================

You're the only one being blind here, willfully so.

>> and revert
>> to tired old vegan spew about all meats being the same.

> Never.

Always.

>> Why is
>> that?
>> Because the alternatives blow the vegan delusions off the map?

> Which is why I don't advocate veg*nsim, at least not as the
> only
> alternative.

Then why pretend they have an impact they do not?