Alex Rast

Default Please Help: "Uncured" Corned Beef

at Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:44:26 GMT in
(TheCatinTX) wrote :

>I bought a corned beef (which is red and looks like "normal" corned
>beef) from Whole Foods today. It was covered with frost, so I didn't
>notice the package says: "uncured".

Apparently, U.S. law forbids labelling something as "cured" if it does not
contain nitrates or nitrites. IMHO this is pretty silly, and contradictory
to common-sense experience - I'm willing to bet 9 people out of 10 would
consider a meat cured only with salt to be "cured" and would wish to see it
labelled as such. To me, the requirement that it be labelled "uncured" is
misleading and leads to consumer confusion, like what you've experienced.

--
Alex Rast