David Hare-Scott

Default Onion seeds vs Nigella seeds

"PenguiN" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> In trying to learn indian cooking, I've seen recepies that take "onion
> seeds" and recepies that take "nigella" seeds, and from reading
> through old usenet posts and searching the web, I've gathered that
> they're the same thing.
>
> However, today I've come across a recepie that calls for both onion
> seeds *and* nigella seeds. What could this mean? I'm guessing I could
> just use the "onion seeds" I picked up at the indian grocery store for
> both quantities, but I really like to know what the recepie writer was
> *actually* going for. Is there another kind of spice other than
> nigella seed which is sometimes called "onion seed"?
>
> Thanks!
> Ken

I presume we are talking about little black, angular seeds (nigella sativa)
I know these as black cumin which is also quite confusing. Apparently there
are many names in different countries and as (as usual) the names can often
refer to other things. I am not aware of anything else that is also called
"onion seed", maybe the author actually meant the seeds of the onion or it
was a mistake.

David