Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh[_1_] Pete Romfh[_1_] is offline

Default REC: Broccoli Omelet

I over shot on calories at dinner last night so this was my "pay back"
breakfast.
My spouse just pronounced it, "The best omelet I've ever had! " which is
high praise indeed.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Broccoli-Cheese Omelet

A tasty, yet light, way to start the day. There's enough substance and
flavor that you don't realize it's the "light" version.

Recipe By: Pete Romfh
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine: American
Main Ingredient: Eggs
Categories: Low Sugar, Diabetic, Vegetarian, Low Carb, Meatless, Low Fat,
Steam, Fry, Simple - Easy, Brunch, Breakfast

-= Ingredients =-
1 cup Broccoli ; - flowers
1/2 cup Cabbage ; - shredded (optional)
1 cup Broccoli Cole Slaw ; (or shred the broccoli stems )
1 cup Egg Substitute ; (or 3 egg whites w/ 1 whole egg)
~~ -- Non-stick pan spray -- ~~
2 ounces Low Fat Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Salsa ; - as hot as you like
1/2 cup Tomato ; - rough chopped
1/4 cup Cilantro ; - rough chopped

-= Instructions =-
If you're working with whole broccoli separate the flowers from the stems.
Peel the thicker portion of the stem and shred the tender insides finely. I
buy bags of flowers and shredded "Broccoli Slaw" to save a lot of time. The
slaw also has cabbage and carrot shreds in it.

Steam the Broccoli Flowers for about 3 minutes then add the Broccoli slaw
and shredded cabbage. Then steam another 1 minute. You don't want it
completely cooked, just softened. Chop the flowers up into small chunks.
Remove from heat and set aside.

In an omelet pan place 1/4 cup amounts of egg and cook until done (but not
hard). repeat until you have 4 egg "patties". Set 1 egg pattie on each
plate and top with a slice of cheese and about 1/2 cup of the broccoli
mixture. Add a second egg pattie and some more broccoli. Top with some
chopped tomato and a dollop of salsa. Garnish with some cilantro.

Serve immediately accompanied by multi-grain toast or other healthy bread.

Each (312g) omelet contains an estimated:
Cals: 184, FatCals: 59, Total Fat: 7g
SatFat: 2g, PolyFat: 2g, MonoFat: 2g
Chol: 7mg, Na: 579mg, K: 686mg
Total Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 2g
NetCarbs: 5g, Protein: 24g

** Recipe and photo at: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe160501 **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh