Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thin Sliced Ribeye

On Fri 27 Jan 2006 11:14:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it DWACON?

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> I tried it a few times with a well-scrubbed, well seasoned blackened
>> cast iron grill pan on the stovetop. I preheated the pan over high
>> heat as hot as possible with the range hood turned on w/o setting off
>> the smoke alarm and I still couldn't get the steak browned on the
>> outside w/o overcooking the interior. The meat was always at room
>> temperature when I started and I would have settled for anything under
>> medium well.

> Exactly what I did EXCEPT the steaks came directly out of the fridge
> (floating in Guinness) so I figured the refrigeration would help. No
> such luck, unfortunately.

If it was dripping with Guinness when you put it in the pan, then your
culprit is at least partly moisure which would produce steam and prevent
browning. Meat going on a grill pan, skillet, or even outdoor grill should
have very dry surfaces in order to sear properly.

--
Wayne Boatwright ożo

BIOYA