Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default crock pot recipes

In article .com>,
"Ria" > wrote:

> Does anyone have any good crock pot recipes that aren't soup? I love
> cooking with a crock pot but I don't really have any other recipes but
> soup.

Well, it's what a crock pot is most suited for. :-)

Stews and pot roasts work well also.

Take a quart of chicken stock, pour it in then dump in 1 cup of pearl
barley so it covers the bottom.

(in crock pots, I always "stack" it so the stuff that takes the longest
to cook is at the bottom)

Lay in a layer of sliced onions
a layer of 1" chunks of carrot
a layer of sliced or chunked potatoes

A large chunk of beef or well trimmed pork.

Top it with slivered garlic cloves, black pepper,
a bit of rosemary, thyme and basil, and 1 bay leaf.

Start on high until the liquid begins to simmer.

Turn it down to low and let cook for about 5 to 6 hours.

The meat will pretty much fall apart. :-)
You can remove the meat to a platter very carefully, then mix
up the veggies and barley to serve on the side.

Goes well with either corn bread or buttermilk buscuits.

You can also add chicken hindquarters or split breasts
in place of pork or beef.

Cheers!
--
Om.