Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Default Can we do better?

Dave wrote:
> rick wrote:
> > "Dave" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > > Reduction is a type of change.

> > ===========================
> > You're missing the point.

> No it's you who are missing the point.

Rick is correct: YOU are the one missing the point

> > Since vegans do not and will not buy
> > meat they aren't reducing their use of meat. Since they do
> > participate, they have no impact.

> Their use of meat is less than it would be if they weren't vegan.
> By continuing to be vegan they are removing their contribution
> towards the commercial incentive to produce meat of any kind.

No. You are wrong.

First of all, their withdrawal from the market for meat was a one-time
effect. Secondly, it was too small to be noticed. They removed their
demand ONCE and once only; it does not have any continuing impact.

If they were for some reason to abandon "veganism" and return to the
market for meat products, that too would be too small to be noticed.
"vegans" are even a very tiny minority with the broader vegetarian
community. As a percentage of the population, they are doubtless less
than one half of one percent.