Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Boron Elgar

Default Sad news about my starters "mother"... A Sourdough Starter Story

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 10:08:02 -0600, "Denny_from_MO"
> wrote:

>A Sourdough Starter Story
>
>January 2006

snip
>Now I have to share the "sad news" part of this story. I called Lois
>yesterday, who is now in her mid-80's. I hadn't talked to her in a couple of
>years (I should call my starters "mother" more often <g>). It took her a
>minute to remember me since it had been a couple of years. As we chatted
>about how things were changing in Pratt, what new things were being built,
>the weather and such, she said, "You know I don't have starter any more, don't
>you?" I replied sadly, that I did not know that and asked what had happened.
>Lois told me that a couple of years ago she starting fighting rheumatoid
>arthritis and she found that she just couldn't knead the dough without much
>pain. I told her I was sorry to hear that she had to "give up the starter"
>(pun intended). She said, "Well I reckon 74 years was long enough!" I
>laughed out loud with her, as I pondered how hard it must have been for her
>to give it up after that many years, feedings and loaves.
>
>So 2004 was the year that my starter's "mother" passed on - "The End".
>
>Lois, on the other hand, I am sure will keep on kicking for quite some time.

Why not send her some starter and instructions of the no-knead,
stretch and fold technique. It might allow her to get back to bread
making. (it might nit help, as lifting the flour container, bowls,
getting things in & out of the oven, etc., may still be difficult)

I have RA, too, and believe me, it can really cause problems with any
sort of kitchen work. You can also tell Lois that the newest
medications are like miracles and that perhaps she would be able to
tolerate taking some of them.

Thanks for the lovely story.

Boron